Hondo's Bar

Movie & TV Blargh

• 3 weeks later...

So I rented Blade Runner last weekend and am a little confused. I understand the collector-collector's edition includes no less than 5 different versions of the film, but I've never seen the damned movie and am curious as hell. This one, reading off the back of the case is the "cut that removes the 'uplifting ending' and replaces it with something darker I guess, but is recut & edited to create the notion that Decker is a replicant all along."

If I just want to watch the same movie that pop culture references every now and again is this the one I want or should I go find some pristine VHS copy or something?

• 4 months later...
So I rented Blade Runner last weekend and am a little confused. I understand the collector-collector's edition includes no less than 5 different versions of the film, but I've never seen the damned movie and am curious as hell. This one, reading off the back of the case is the "cut that removes the 'uplifting ending' and replaces it with something darker I guess, but is recut & edited to create the notion that Decker is a replicant all along."

If I just want to watch the same movie that pop culture references every now and again is this the one I want or should I go find some pristine VHS copy or something?

Just watch the original theatrical cut if you can find it labeled as such. There's really no reason to watch the other versions unless you wank to Ridley Scott interviews.

Just saw Midnight Meat Train. Best Clive Barker adaptation evar? I submit that it is.

Vinnie Jones is great, a profoundly interesting and deep character I thought. Compounded by the fact that I'm pretty sure he has, like, one line in the whole film.

...Really? I mean, admittedly Barker has had some godawful adaptations with Nightbreed and Rawhead Rex coming to mind as some craptacular films and Hellraiser being the only good one with a resounding "meh." But Midnight Meat Train suffered from issues with pacing, acting, special effects (typical Lionsgate bargain basement CG gore), and a story that wasn't really all that good to begin with stretched so thin you can see through the other side.

All the suspense and shock of the original story was ruined and we spent far too much time with the main character. Also Vinnie Jones looked like a souped-up Forrest Gump with the most ridiculous looking hammer ever. Also, what were those weird nipple things he was cutting off?

I don't know, I guess part of my problem was that I've always found Clive Barker to be a pretty over-rated writer on the whole, at best I found him fairly decent at worst I found him painfully shallow and boring. I guess that was what hindered me liking this movie the most. Then again I guess being the best Clive Barker adaptation is kind of like being the sexiest leper.

Yeah another Dirty Harry movie, or one more Western, I sure miss his Western days. I wanna see him do one where he's an old gunslinger but he still has some stuff in him, and he shows off the younger generation.

You know I've given this a lot of thought and while I wouldn't have cosigned the nomination of Eastwood for the Saint of Killers even when he was in his prime. (I'm sorry, a cowboy hat and a sneer aren't enough to make them resemble each other, Clancy Brown was clearly the better choice.) I feel that now would be the perfect time for Clint Eastwood to play Jonah Hex. Think about it: old haggard Eastwood with a big fucking facial scar that covers the entire right side of his face, a Confederate soldier uniform, and two six guns. It's perfect. (of course I can more than live with second-stringer fantasy Thomas Jane in the role and Josh Brolin who actually is going to play with him but tell me it wouldn't be amazing.)

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 weeks later...

Synecdoche, New York.

Fucking brilliant. I was entranced the whole time, there's a lot of shit that bears further looking into. Charlie Kaufman at his absolute best, in my opinion. I will own this and re watch it many times. Though provoking and powerful.

Not for everyone. Shit, not for most. But I deeply, truly enjoyed this film. I can't say enough good things about it. I watch a lot of movies, most of them are absolute shit or passable at best. This is a rare gem.

It's hard to say what it's about in a concise manner. There are a lot of ins and a lot of outs.

I would be proud to have made Synecdoche, New York. That's just about the best endorsement I can give.

• 4 weeks later...

effin' Boondock Saints 2 is going out of its way to linger on. The original one was made a decade ago, and this should have been made come 02 or 03 the latest. It's now 09 and they have -gasp- filmed it, but still all hushy hushy on when the hell they are gonna release it.

fuck you, and if you suck, I am gonna go old boondock saints on your ass.

That is all.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are all great, it adds actual value to the other Star Wars trilogy. Plus the multiple 007 theory (I personally think they should just come out and say that one aloud in the next movie) and Tyler Durden's Day Off (I'd heard that one before) were pretty awesome.

I agree on Taxi Driver, and I'd never thought about it with Total Recall and Minority Report but it makes sense. I don't agree with the Observe and Report one though because it doesn't make sense and here's why:

There are only about 2 points in the movie where the narrative could have gone to strictly in Ronnie's head. The first was when he went of his medication on his "date" with Anna Faris' character. The problem with that is a lot of bad shit happened to him after that and Ronnie's delusion was such that he considered himself an infallible god of a man. So seeing as the bulk of the bad shit that happens (and most of it is the worst) then I don't believe he imagined that.

The second point it could have happened was just before the exciting climax where Ronnie is accepting who he is. The problem here again is he's already done a lot of shit that says he's capable of handling the situation if the movie's been real up to that point and there's ways he wouldn't get in trouble for what he did.

The flasher was obviously intending to assault Britney either sexually or otherwise so Ronnie was justified to do what he did. He'd probably get a fine for excessive force and firing a firearm indoor. But I got the impression that the movie took place in Texas and I'm pretty sure that shooting a criminal gets you a medal in this state.

Plus the ending being a delusion takes away from the messed up nature of the film. While it's a carbon copy of Taxi Driver in many ways the final note is different. If Travis Bickle does indeed die at the end, he's already crossed that line, Ronnie Barnhardt has just gotten started and unlike Travis, he's justified in every way by all his peers. If you make it a delusion he's just a date-raping Paul Blart.

• 3 weeks later...

eh...i guess. i think he ducked it originally and made it clear he wasnt expecting this/sold this kinda interview. he just did apocalypto not too far back. this wasnt a people magazine interview, it was fluff for his next flick. im guessing his agent told him to do this kinda shit only and let his work speak for itself, like how Cruise was great in Tropic Thunder and most kids forgot he was a fucking crazy scientologist.

mark my words, he's one obligatory Lethal Weapon away from everyone forgetting the anti-semitism.

mark my words, he's one obligatory Lethal Weapon away from everyone forgetting the anti-semitism.

then the sexual harassment (calling a femal cop "sugar tits") and the drunk driving, and the divorce . . . not very Christian behavior for mr. jesus-movie-maker who builds a frickin' church on his property. good actor/director, but an utter twathat.

At the beginning of this entire Marvel/Disney debacle Disney insisted that they would not be meddling around with the already existing details between Marvel and who distributes their films. All that has changed according to IESB:

"That began to change when Disney CEO Robert Iger, according to Fox Business News, said back in September that he would like to end those distribution deals once the Disney/Marvel deal was complete.

IMHO when Disney purchased Marvel for 5 billion dollars, they bought a well-dressed up pig. While Marvel does own a ton of characters (approx. over 5000), a few of the most well known and successful characters such as Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four and the X-Men have homes at other studios. Sony of course has Spidey and 20th Century Fox, besides having the entire X-Men Universe also controls for perpetuity Daredevil and the Fantastic Four (includes the Silver Surfer and Elektra)."

Yep! You guessed it, Fox owning all those A-List characters pisses the Marvel Mouse right off.

"Actually, if you take a look at what Fox controls it's pretty amazing. For example, the Deadpool character who is having his own feature film developed currently is part of the X-Men universe. Pretty much a freebie and a big middle finger to Marvel and Disney."

A big middle finger? That's for sure. If Fox is giving Marvel the big middle finger over distribution then they are sticking that said middle finger up the fans a^% with how they go about story rewrites and charecter development liberties that they have recently taken (Barakapool). Come On Man!!!

Paramount is set to distribute Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers but according to IESB that all might change:

'So what's the big news? Apparently, there is nothing short of a tug of war going on between Disney and Paramount over the properties Par had already lined up and contractually committed to distribute with Marvel. Sadly, it appears that the Mouse may have found a loophole.

How certain are we of this? Certain Disney publicists have already been telling members of the press that Iron Man 3 will definitely be distributed and branded with the Walt Disney logo. Ask the lawyers for details."

It is also being reported that Marvel and Disney are letting the Paramount teams do their jobs in the marketing department. Man that's shiesty!

IESB did say that: 'One thing is for certain, Disney does not want any help from Paramount on Captain America and The Avengers. We are hearing Disney would consider allowing Paramount to distribute Iron Man 3 but that there is no way in hell a Paramount logo would be seen on either the Cap or Avenger films. Disney is spending 500 billion pretty pennies to own Marvel and they want to make sure the Walt Disney brand is all over those films.'

What does this mean to us? Other then Disney already going back on their word that they would not medal with the distribution deals that are already in place, and us catching the lie, not to much. The only negative factor here is, the possibility of the above mentioned films getting pushed back. How many times has that happened to a promising property only to be delayed or scrapped by political/business red tape, in other words, bullsh*t? Too many times.